I’ll let you in on a little secret. You could take the title of this blog and replace “Real Estate Agents” with your profession and you would increase your productivity! But Real Estate is my business and time management is a real challenge that I want to address from the perspective of being a Real Estate Agent.
With so many distractions, it is a wonder that real estate agents are productive at all. Working to become a highly productive real estate agent is an ongoing process. Creating habits that produce consistent results allows you to achieve your maximum potential. Between phone calls, emails, listing presentations, prospecting calls and buyer appointments, how do I stay productive?
I keep myself focused, alert and on tract with these five habits:
- Focus on the Most Important Tasks. Be mindful to focus on income generating tasks and tasks that produce results. Schedule time on your calendar and list out everything you will work on. Number each item and work through your list. Complete what you can during your scheduled time without any interruptions or distractions (see #2). Do this every day.
- Remove Distractions. The day can quickly get away from you between the phone, email, Internet and any other interruption. Turn it all off and stay focused on your task at hand. Don’t allow yourself a quick vacation on Facebook or getting off track by answering emails. Cut yourself off from all distractions, work down your list and take a break once you are complete.
- Use Positive Affirmations. Crazy, I know but they actually do work! They can take a negative attitude and turn it around just by repeating a few constructive, upbeat words.
- Take a Cat Nap. Making time and grabbing a few z‘s might seem like an odd productivity tip, but studies have shown that feeling refreshed after a nap can significantly improve concentration and performance. 30 minutes is all it takes.
- Set Daily Goals. Wake up each morning with your goals outlined. These should be incorporated into your daily tasks. Setting your sites on a goal each day offers clarity and promotes a more sustained drive.
Here’s a bonus. Break out of the norm. Don’t be afraid to branch out and try something that makes you a little uncomfortable. Stepping outside of your comfort zone can be an amazing place that offers growth potential you never believed possible. Whatever your profession, these habits will contribute to your productivity.
Until next time, Irene