tax deduction

Tax Deductions For Okemo Mountain Second Homeowners

The day all Americans dread, tax day is only a few weeks away. If you are an Okemo Mountain second homeowner, you don’t want to miss out on any of the deductions that owning your second home provides. The following tax tips for Okemo Mountain csecond home buyers is courtey of H&R Block.

taxes-dueA second home can be a house, condominium, cooperative, mobile home, house trailer or boat that has sleeping, cooking and toilet facilities. For example, an RV can qualify as a second home. If you own more than 2 homes, you must choose which home other than your main home to treat as the second home. However, you don’t have to choose the same home each year. 

Second Home Deductions 

If you take out a mortgage to buy, construct or substantially improve a second home, the interest is deductible if you itemize deductions. Your deduction may be limited if the mortgage exceeds the fair market value of the home or if the mortgages on your main home and your second home exceed $1 million ($500,000 if you’re Married Filing Separately). These limits do not apply to mortgages taken out before Oct. 14, 1987 (called grandfathered debt), but grandfathered debt reduces the $1 million and $500,000 limits.

If you take out a home equity loan or line of credit on your second home, the interest is fully deductible unless the mortgage exceeds the fair market value of the home reduced by the amount of the mortgages, including grandfathered debt, as previously described, or if the mortgages of this type on your main home and second home exceed $100,000 ($50,000 if Married Filing Separately).

Real estate taxes and points you pay over the life of a mortgage to acquire a second home are deductible if you itemize deductions. Points you pay on a mortgage to acquire a second home are also deductible over the life of the loan. If you refinance or sell the home before the mortgage is paid off, you can deduct in the year of sale or refinancing any points you didn’t previously deduct. 

Renting Your Second Home 

If you use the home as a residence and rent it for less than 15 days during the year, you don’t have to report the rental income. It’s considered a residence if you (or a family member) use the home for personal purposes for more than the greater of 14 days or 10% of the number of days that you rent the home at fair rental value. You may not deduct any expenses attributable to the rental, but you may deduct interest and taxes if you itemize your deductions.

If you use the home as a residence and rent it for 15 days or more, you must report the rental income. You may deduct your interest and taxes as described above. But you can deduct other rental expenses (including depreciation) only up to the amount of the income reduced by the deductions for interest and taxes. Any rental expenses not deductible under this rule are carried to the following year, when they are again subject to this limit.

If you don’t use the home as a residence, the above rules don’t apply. You report your income and expenses in the same manner as for other rental property, and you can’t deduct expenses other than interest, taxes and casualty losses attributable to your personal use of the home. 

Selling Your Second Home 

If you sell your second home, the gain will be taxed as capital gain, long-term if you owned it for more than a year and short-term if you owned it 1 year or less. A loss on the sale can’t be deducted. If the second home was rented for profit, gain generally is taxed as capital gain and a loss can be deducted. The part of the gain attributable to depreciation is taxed at a maximum rate of 25%. If you used the home for personal purposes and rented it, you have to treat the sale as part personal, part business.

If the second home was your main home for at least 2 years during the 5-year period ending on the date of sale, you can exclude up to $250,000 of the gain (up to $500,000 if Married Filing Jointly and you both used the home as your main home for the required period). You can’t claim the exclusion if you sold another home within the 2-year period ending on the date of sale and claimed the exclusion for that sale.

If you don’t meet the 2-year ownership or use requirement, you may claim the exclusion only if you sell the home because of a change in health, place of employment, or another “unforeseen circumstance.” In this situation, the maximum exclusion will be reduced. You may not exclude any gain attributable to depreciation you claimed after May 6, 1997.

If you sell a second home and use it other than as a principal residence (nonqualified use) at any time after 2008, the gain eligible for the exclusion may be limited. For this purpose, nonqualified use does not include:

  • Any nonqualified use before 2009.
  • Any period during the 5-year period that is after the last period of use as a principal residence.
  • A period of temporary absence of up to 2 years for reasons of health, employment and unforeseen circumstances.
  • Any period (not to exceed 10 years) during which the taxpayer or spouse was serving on qualified official extended duty.

This post is not meant to give tax advice to Okemo Mountain second homeowners. Please consult your account or tax advisor with any questions you have.

How to Write Off Your Move to Ludlow, VT

Many home buyers are not aware of the fact that most moving expenses for a job-related move are tax deductible. If you want the savings, however, it is extremely important to keep detailed records of all moving expenses, including house-hunting trips, if your move is job-related.

If you are moving more than 35 miles from your current home, you can deduct all kinds of moving expenses, including but not limited to: your family’s travel expenses, including meals and lodging; the cost of transporting furniture, other household goods, and personal belongings; food and hotel bills for up to 30 days in the new city if you have to wait to move into your new home; and the costs associated with selling your old home or leasing your new home.

The IRS’s Publication 521, “Tax Information on Moving Expenses,” provides all of the details on deducting items related to your move, including limits to how much you may deduct. You can download the publication using the link above, or pick it up for free at any IRS office!

Thinking about moving to Ludlow, VT? Start by searching the MLS here, or call me at 802-353-1983 for all of your Ludlow VT real estate needs!

Tax Deduction For Prepaid Interest

Tax Day is only a couple of weeks away. Don’t forget to claim the deduction for the mortgage interest you paid at closing when you bought your home.

All mortgage interest is tax deductible. You should have received a year-end statement from your lender showing how much interest you paid for 2006. However, this statement does not include the interest paid at closing. You will need to pull out your settlement statement or HUD-1 to determine how much interest was paid at closing. This amount can then be added to the number on your lender’s statement. If in doubt, provide your HUD-1 to your accountant or tax preparer.

For information about buying a home in the Ludlow, VT area, visit my website or give me a call at 800-659-1819 #103.